May 22, 2001

APPROVED Ė May 29, 2001






Ms. Deb Casey, Mr. Greg Farris (arrived at approximately 6:35pm), Mr. William McDevitt, Mr. Harold Lynde (arrived at approximately 6:40pm), Mr. Jean-Guy Bergeron


Also present:



Mr. James Pitts, Town Administrator, members of the press and general public.




Chairperson Casey opened the meeting at approximately 6:30 pm.








Ms. Joan Talbot, Hobbs Road said she had submitted a letter to the Planning Department May 10, 2001and provided copies to the Selectmen.She also had submitted a service request form to the Selectmen May 7, 2001 and provided additional copies.She wanted to ensure the Selectmen received the memos and said that if the items were not to be enforced, she would like to know the reason.Mr. Pitts said the service request was in the Selectmenís reading folder this evening, as well as a response he drafted.




Mr. Bob Blinn, President, Pelham Little League, maintenance of the parks


Mr. Bob Blinn, President, Pelham Little League and Ms. Holly Saurman, Vice President, Girls Softball stepped forward to discuss the maintenance of the parks.Mr. Blinn explained that the number of volunteers is growing few and felt that it was time for the Town to hire a full time maintenance person for the Park and Recreation Department.


Ms. Casey asked if the condition of the parks had declined in the past year.Mr. Blinn answered no and said he felt that because of Mr. Bob Tryonís responsibility, he should have a full time maintenance person.Mr. Pitts said the Selectmen would be interviewing a person later in the evening, but it would only be for a part time summer position.


Mr. McDevitt said there had been a recent Parks and Recreation meeting, and asked that Mr. Blinn discuss some of the things that the volunteer had done.Mr. Blinn discussed the costs and maintenance to open Muldoon Park each season.He said some of the items handled by a small group of volunteers were replacing the water heater, the lawn had been mowed and the sprinkler system was being fixed.



Mr. Farris arrived.


Ms. Saurman said the Town has had the opportunity to inherit acres of land, which had largely been maintained by volunteers.She asked that consideration be given to funding a consistent effort to maintain the areas year-round which, to date havenít cost the Town any money.


Mr. Farris said that he had requested that Mr. Bob Tryon try and calculate the number of volunteer hours and factor it into his budget as staff.He was concerned that the volunteer hours would go away and felt the Town needed to replace those people to maintain the parks because it would be a shame to lose what has been built.Ms. Casey agreed and informed that she and Mr. Pitts were creating a new way for maintaining the fields and how personnel were addressed.She said it would be coming before the Selectmen in the next couple weeks and would need approval.Ms. Saurman said if any additional information was needed, either she or Mr. Blinn would be happy to give input.


Mr. Lynde arrived.


Mr. McDevitt asked that the Parks and Recreation Board work with the Selectmen to create the process.He thanked the volunteers for the countless hours given to maintain the fields.


Mr. Farris asked if the proposal being worked on by Mr. Pitts and Ms. Casey would be submitted before budgets were enacted.Ms. Casey said the proposal would be forthcoming before the Selectmen and informed that it would be reviewed by the Selectmen before the budgets were enacted.


Mr. Alex Flynn, Interview for Parks & Recreation position





(McDevitt/Lynde) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,b (hiring public employee).



Ms. Casey-Yes; Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes


The Selectmen entered into non-public session at approximately 6:47pm.The Selectmen returned to public session at approximately 6:58pm.



(McDevitt/Lynde) To appoint Mr. Alex Flynn to a seasonal position of Park and Recreation maintenance person to be effective immediately.



(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Interview for part-time Code Enforcement/Building Inspector position

Interview for part-time Electrical Inspector position

Interview for part-time Plumbing Inspector position





(McDevitt/Lynde) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,a & b (personnel & hiring public employee).



Ms. Casey-Yes; Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes


The Selectmen entered into non-public session at approximately 7:00pm.The Selectmen returned to public session at approximately 7:50pm.


Ms. Casey thanked the Inspectors for their time and tireless efforts they put forth on behalf of the community.


Mr. William Scanzani, Menís Softball League field use


Mr. Bill Scanzani and Mr. Daryl Gagne appeared before the Selectmen to discuss Newcomb field use.Mr. Scanzani said that after research had been done, to the best of his knowledge, there was no written agreement, but there was an open-ended verbal agreement for first right of refusal, which had no expiration date.He said the agreement was based on the fact that the League built and maintained the field.He said Mr. Peter Flynn was the person whom drafted the annually renewable lease, which laid out the responsibilities of different organizationís responsibilities to the field.He said minor changes had been made such as trash pick up.Mr. Scanzani said the main difference in the agreement was that the Menís Softball League physically owned assets on the field that would be turned over to the League.He also noted that the League maintained the operating expenses.


Mr. Farris referenced the agreement and asked if the lighting equipment would be taken down at some point.Mr. Scanzani said that at the time, that was the provision of the agreement, but the League would be more than willing to work with the Town for field usage etc.He said the main concern was the continuing right to have first right of refusal.Mr. Farris didnít feel that the Town could make changes this year since the league and schedule was set up.He said there was time to discuss any changes for next year.Mr. Farris discussed the parking situation and said the biggest problem were cars blocking the gate for Police and Fire vehicles from refueling.Mr. Scanzani said there was not enough parking at the field and asked that the Selectmen implement signage in front of the gate, which could be enforced by the League officers.Mr. McDevitt suggested changing the signs.Mr. Scanzani discussed the area, which had been graded by the League for additional parking, but was now being used for storage by the Highway Department.


Mr. Lynde felt that vehicles should only park on one side of the road and felt that there should be a discussion with Mr. Don Foss to reclaim some of the parking off the road.Mr. Scanzani said there were also site concerns with parking around the debris piles.


Mr. Bergeron suggested having covers made for the no parking signs during field use so the current signage would not have to be changed.


Mr. Farris also felt there should be a discussion with the road agent to clear some of the brush on the site.He also discussed the hazard of the sand piles and children climbing them.


Mr. Pitts also noted that the Fire apparatus would need to access the fuel pumps.Mr. McDevitt suggested discussing the parking and access issue with the Police and Fire Departments.


Ms. Casey asked if there were any thoughts to create a restroom.Mr. Scanzani informed that the League paid for and maintained porta-potties during the season, which were also utilized by the other organizations at no cost to them.He said he would like to see a recreation area created and said that the League, for the next couple years were rebuilding their funds.Ms. Casey asked that consideration be given to possibly share costs with the Town.She asked that the League be included in a discussion with Mr. Pitts and Mr. Foss regarding the parking.Mr. McDevitt will be the Selectmenís representative during those discussions.


Ms. Casey said the Park and Recreation Department would be providing a seven-year plan and asked that the League contact them for recommendations.She informed that the agreement would be signed this evening.


Mr. Scanzani said a water line had been accidentally disrupted by adding a dumpster to the transfer station.He said the League had paid for sprinkler systems and wanted to know when the line would be replaced.Ms. Casey asked him to work with Mr. Pitts.


Mr. Joseph Slattery, III, Interview for Parks and Recreation Advisory Board position


Mr. Joseph Slattery, III appeared before the Selectmen to interview for a position on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board.He had been a resident of the Town for sixteen years and had five children, which had either gone through the program or were currently still in it.He felt that now would be a good time to be involved in the program to help move forward with more programs and more fields.


Mr. Lynde like his presentation letter and felt Mr. Slattery was on track with the suggestion to provide non-sport activities.


Mr. Farris spoke of Mr. Slatteryís dedication and felt he would be a great addition to the Board.Ms. Casey agreed.Mr. Bergeron thanked him for volunteering.



(McDevitt/Lynde) To appoint Mr. Joseph Slattery to a position on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board for a three-year term commencing as of April 1, 2001.



(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


There was a request for a non-public session.Mr. Pitts informed that the reason for the non-public session was due to a litigation matter involving the Town.He said the meeting would be with Town Counsel and the Town Assessor.





(Lynde/McDevitt) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,e (legal).



Ms. Casey-Yes; Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes


The Selectmen entered into non-public session at approximately 8:15pm.The Selectmen returned to public session at approximately 8:53pm.




Review of expiring Warrant Articles


Mr. Pitts provided a new list of Warrant Articles.He said the $125,000 carry over for the transfer station/incinerator could be taken care of later in the year once all the bill were paid.Ms. Casey asked if there was need for a vote to return money to the general fund.Mr. Pitts said the restoration of Raymond Park had already defaulted.He said he had spoken with the Town Auditor regarding the Feasibility Study of Solid Waste and it was determined that the Selectmenís minutes would be accepted as long as they contained enough specificity.Ms. Casey reviewed which articles were open, lapsed or would be returned.


Mr. McDevitt felt the ash landfill issue should be addressed and added to a future agenda for discussion.He said he would research and bring back to the Selectmen for review.


There was a brief discussion regarding the rubble from the pipeline.Ms. Casey asked Mr. Pitts to further review the reforestation of Raymond Park before the Selectmen made a final determination.






Request for Proposals for removal of incinerators


Mr. Pitts provided a proposal for review.


Mr. Farris asked why the metal roof would be left.Ms. Casey informed that it could be added to light iron and the Town would be paid for it.


Ms. Casey asked if the cleaning of the building would be added to the proposal.Mr. Pitts said a different company would have to handle.Ms. Casey wanted to keep it in mind that part of the money should be used for cleaning the building.


It was the consensus of the Selectmen to move forward with the proposal.


Castle Hill Road Bridge traffic count


Ms. Casey read a portion of the traffic count aloud and informed that the weekly average was 295 and the weekend average was 279.Mr. Lynde noted that most appeared to be a double count of people commuting to and from work.Ms. Casey said the cost for repair was in excess of $600,000 (without state funding).She said that a letter had been sent (February 21, 2001) to the Selectmen in Windham regarding the bridge and requested that they comment.Mr. Pitts said he had spoken with Windhamís Town Administrator who was waiting until the traffic count results were received and would review once Pelham decided how to proceed.


Ms. Casey said she had researched information for covered bridges and said the materials would cost approximately $25,000, but the Town would have to construct.


Mr. Farris felt that the traffic count should be forwarded to Windhamís Selectmen for review and ask for comment within a specified time.


Mr. McDevitt felt the bridge should either be closed or proceed with Windhamís financial assistance.Ms. Casey agreed and said that there had been no response from Pelhamís residents regarding the closure except for a request to keep open to pedestrians.


Mr. Pitts said that Windham wanted to wait until Pelham had decided upon a course of action.He said the stateís bridge report noted that the owner is the municipality that the bridge was also in Windham, but there was question regarding the accuracy.Mr. Farris asked that the cost of constructing a covered bridge be reviewed.Ms. Casey said she had requested the information.


Mr. Lynde noted the AADT in 1994 was 260.He also said that the cost for the abutments would be a significant effort and major expense just for the stone work.Mr. McDevitt felt the Town should use the stateís figure unless Pelham or Windham could come up with an alternative.


Ms. Casey recommended that Mr. Pitts send a letter to Windham including the traffic count asking for a response within 30-days.




Mr. Pitts gave a brief summary of the compactor move and informed that it might be approximately a week before it was up and running.He said that the first shipment of green glass (14.6 tons) had been received by Windham and processed.He also informed that Duke, the new Police K-9 had received five trophies at the US Police Dog One Qualifications.Mr. Pitts ended by updating the Selectmen about the Police patrolman selection and said the final candidates would be scheduled for interview.


Mr. Bergeron read a report dated May 18, 2001 from Mr. Bruce Mason, Solid Waste Superintendent.He said that both trailers had been registered.He noted that May 24, 2001 there would be a satellite collection of household hazardous waste in Hudson at the Highway Department from 3pm - 7pm and were looking for volunteers from Pelham.He said that the office trailer would be moved June 11, 2001.He also informed that Mr. Mason had been certified by NH DES Waste Management Division as a level four Solid Waste Facility Manager/Operator also for hazardous waste.Mr. Bergeron ended by saying that he and Mr. McDevitt attended session two of the Selectpersonís Institute meeting May 19, 2001.


Mr. Farris said that he had attended a Municipal Building meeting and reviewed towns comparable to Pelham currently as well as in twenty-five years.He said the Committee had narrowed the towns down to 4-6 and would review how they were dealing with similar situations as Pelham.He also informed that El Paso Gas (aka Tennessee Gas) would be starting in Londonderry June 4, 2001 and asked that they be contacted to get a date of when they would be impacting Muldoon.Mr. Pitts said a conference had been set up for May 30, 2001.


Mr. Lynde discussed the Planning Boardís meeting of May 21, 2001.He noted that the proposed plan for Spring Street was one of the finest presentations he had seen during his term on the Planning Board.He noted that they had proposed approximately 30 acres of 70 to be deeded to the Town.Mr. Lynde ended by noting that Mr. Clay Mitchell, Planning Director replaced the flag outside the Town Hall.


Mr. McDevitt said that Park and Recreation had a meeting and discussed what improvements had been done to the parks at no cost to the Town.He said that summer camp was filling up and said that next year there would be a significant increase in rates, which would still be affordable.


Ms. Casey informed that on May 26, 2001 the Transfer Station would have their grand opening at 9am.She also said that May 28, 2001 the Selectmen had been asked to walk in the Memorial Day parade.She said directly following the parade would be a ceremony at the Abbott Bridge for a historical marker.She also noted that there would be a presentation made to Officer Pickles and Officer Roark who were the state winners for their outstanding work.She said the Selectmen had also received a resignation.



(Farris/McDevitt) To accept the resignation of Mark P. Fiorentino as part-time dispatcher of the Police Department.



(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Ms. Casey noted that the Selectmen would not meet July 3, 2001.She said that the Selectmen would be off every other week during July and August.She would provide a summer schedule shortly.





(McDevitt/Lynde) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,a & e (personnel and legal).



Ms. Casey-Yes; Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes


Ms. Casey noted that when the Board returned, after the non-public session, the Board would not take any other action publicly, except to seal the minutes of the non-public session and to adjourn the meeting.The Board entered into a non-public session at approximately 9:35 pm.Also present was Mr. Pitts.






The Board returned to public session.



(†††††††††† ) To seal the minutes of the non-public session indefinitely.



(††††† ) The motion carries.





(††††††† ) To adjourn the meeting.



(††††††††† ) The motion carries.


The meeting was adjourned at approximately†† pm.


††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Respectfully submitted,


††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Charity A. L. Willis

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Recording Secretary