APPROVED

 

TOWN OF PELHAM

BOARD OF SELECTMEN

MINUTES

September 4, 2001 

APPROVED – June 18, 2002

 

CALL TO ORDER

PLEDGE OF ALLEGAINCE

 

PRESENT:

Ms. Deb Casey, Mr. Greg Farris, Mr. William McDevitt, Mr. Harold Lynde, Mr. Jean-Guy Bergeron

 

Also present:

 

ABSENT:

Mr. James Pitts, Town Administrator, members of the press and general public.

 

 None.

              

Chairperson Casey opened the meeting at approximately 6:30 pm.

 

MINUTES REVIEW

 

None.

 

OPEN FORUM

 

None.

 

APPOINTMENTS

 

Interview for alternate Planning Board position

 

Ms. Robin Bousa, May Lane met with the Selectmen to interview for an alternate position to the Planning Board.  She discussed her reasons for wanting to hold the position on the Planning Board.  Mr. Lynde felt Ms. Bousa would be a good addition to the Planning Board.

 

Mr. McDevitt asked if Ms. Bousa owned any land, other than where her house sat.  Ms. Bousa answered no. 

 

MOTION:

(Lynde/McDevitt) To appoint Ms. Robin Bousa as an alternate to the Planning Board to a three-year term effective April 1, 2001 through March 31, 2004.

 

VOTE:

 

(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.

 

In his role as a Justice of the Peace, Mr. Pitts swore Ms. Bousa into the position.

 

Ms. Charlene Takesian, Town Treasurer, investment policy

 

Ms. Charlene Takesian met with the Selectmen to discuss the investment policy.  She said investments were made in accordance with RSA41:29.  She said the objective was to invest money safely.  She discussed the types of accounts that the Town’s money was invested into.  She then discussed the balance of the money and the insurance the bank has to ensure the money remained secure. 

 

Mr. Farris asked if the trust money was included in Ms. Takesian’s report.  Ms. Takesian said that she was discussing liquid money that belonged to the Town, and did not include trust money, which was kept separate.  She went on to discuss the types of fees charged to the Town for normal bank services.  She said that the Town would soon have the capability to access its accounts via the Internet. 

 

Mr. Farris asked if the fees charged were competitive rates.  Mr. Bill Sullivan, First Essex Bank discussed the fee structures and felt strongly that First Essex stood competitively against other institutions in the market. 

 

Ms. Casey asked Ms. Takesian if she was content that investment policy set up was the best one for the community.  Ms. Takesian said she felt secure with the policy because she needed the money in a liquid account, versus in a CD account. 

 

Mr. Perkins explained and discussed his background in banking with the Selectmen.  He also introduced the people involved with helping the Town with research.  He then discussed the bank’s relationship with the Trustees of various accounts and what he felt were the reasons they chose to work with Citizen’s Bank rather than First Essex.  Mr. Perkins discussed Internet banking and the uses that could be accessed.  He said First Essex’s product could stand up to the product put out by Fleet Bank.  Ms. Deb Pegley, First Essex  Bank Manager spoke with the Selectmen and discussed the types of things First Essex was involved in throughout the community.   

 

Non-public session per RSA 91-A:3, II, e (legal) - consultation with Attorney Diane Gorrow regarding the Gendron property

 

REQUEST FOR NON-PUBLIC SESSION

 

Mr. Bergeron stepped down.

 

Mr. McDevitt asked that the Selectmen be able to discuss the land donation (listed later on the agenda), since Town Counsel was available. 

 

MOTION:

(Lynde/McDevitt) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,e (legal)

 

ROLL CALL:

 

Ms. Casey-Yes; Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-stepped down for the Gendron discussion, but joined the Selectmen in non-public to discuss the land donation (listed later on the agenda)

 

The Selectmen entered into non-public session at approximately 7:05pm.  Also present was Mr. Pitts.

 

The Selectmen returned to public session at approximately 7:50pm.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

Signing of Purchase and Sales agreement for Jericho Road land purchase

 

Attorney Diane Gorrow said that the Town had voted to acquire the property through use of conservation funds.  She went on to discuss the purchase and sales agreement had been negotiated. 

 

Ms. Casey thanked Ms. Diane Wolven for her generosity.  Mr. McDevitt thanked Ms. Deb Waters for her work on the acquisition. 

 

The Selectmen signed the Purchase and Sales agreement for the Jericho Road land purchase. 

 

APPOINTMENTS CON’T...

 

Interview for Transfer Station position

 

REQUEST FOR NON-PUBLIC SESSION

 

MOTION:

(Lynde/McDevitt) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,b (personnel)

 

ROLL CALL:

 

Ms. Casey-Yes; Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes.

 

The Selectmen entered into non-public session at approximately 7:57pm.  Also present was Mr. Pitts.

 

The Selectmen returned to public session at approximately 8:05pm.

 

Mr. McDevitt stepped away for a few moments.

 

MOTION:

(Bergeron/Farris) To hire Mr. Jean-Claude Bergeron as a part-time employee of the Solid Waste Facility based on completion of all standard hiring procedures effective immediately.

 

VOTE:

 

(4 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.

 

Ms. Casey noted that Mr. Bergeron was not related to Mr. Jean-Claude Bergeron. 

 

Mr. McDevitt returned.

 

Police Chief Haglund on Mammoth Road speed limits

 

Ms. Casey said there had been a concern regarding the speed limits on Mammoth Road.  Police Chief Haglund provided a statistic overview of the vehicle accidents throughout the Town.  He said that he had initiated increased motor vehicle enforcement, which was currently being implemented.  He said he would be bringing forth the request for an officer to be dedicated to traffic.  Chief Haglund said that there was a Highway Safety Committee meeting during the week where a unanimous vote was taken to recommend to the Selectmen that the state come in and review the speed limit signs at the 40mph level.  He asked that the Selectmen petition the state to possibly reduce the speed limits on Mammoth Road at certain points. 

 

Mr. McDevitt asked that the Police Department discuss the Nashua Road area with the state.  Chief Haglund discussed the Keyes Hill Road area as also being a bad intersection.  Mr. Lynde asked if the telephone pole at the Nashua Road intersection should be moved.  Chief Haglund said he could discuss the concern with Mr. Don Foss.  He said if the state came to Pelham, he could review all the problem areas.

 

Mr. Farris said that the expansion of Muldoon Park into Raymond Memorial Park may cause additional problems and should be reviewed. 

 

Ms. Casey confirmed with Chief Haglund that he wanted the Selectmen to send a strongly worded letter to the state, petitioning them to come and do a survey of the road concerns on Mammoth Road.  Chief Haglund answered yes. 

 

Chief Haglund said that the Highway Safety Agency was about to offer 100% grants for sixty hours of increased traffic enforcement.  He said the grant would allow the Police Department to run an officer in overtime for sixty hours (at no cost to the Town).  He asked the Selectmen for permission to apply for the grant.  Chief Haglund said there was an additional grant the Police Department would like to apply for, which would be for sixty hours of overtime for impaired driving.

 

MOTION:

(Farris/McDevitt) To allow Police Chief Haglund to apply for two grants: 1) sixty-hour traffic enforcement; 2) sixty-hour impaired driving enforcement.

 

VOTE:

 

(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.

 

Mr. Pitts said that he would complete the letter to the state by the next meeting.

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

Award of incinerator removal bids

 

Ms. Casey said it was the opinion of Mr. Pitts and Mr. Bruce Mason, Transfer Station that they recommended the awarding of the contract to IJC Corp. of Pelham.  She said that IJC Corp. had met all the specification of the RFP.

 

Mr. McDevitt said that the Town would place the lining of the refractory in our own receptacles for removal.  He wanted to ensure that there had been money aside, possibly as a budgetary item for next year.  Mr. Pitts believed that some of the Warrant Article money could be used. 

 

MOTION:

(Bergeron/not clear per the video tape who seconded the motion) To award the bid to IJC Corporation of Pelham at the amount of $28,990.

 

VOTE:

 

(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.

 

Mr. Lynde understood that the state subsidized the removal of incinerators.  Ms. Casey said that the state subsidized 28% of the cost, up to $10,000.  She said there were specifics to be complied with for coverage.  Mr. Pitts said it was a reimbursement grant, so the closure would need to be completed before applying. 

 

NEW BUSINESS CON’T...

 

Selectmen’s meeting schedule discussion

 

Ms. Casey said that Mr. Pitts had requested that the Selectmen continue their summer schedule and hold meetings every other week to help in preparing the meeting packets.  Mr. McDevitt felt that the work burden on the small staff would be relieved if meetings were held every other week.  He said the Selectmen would need to change the way certain things were handled.  He was in favor of holding meetings every other week as an experiment.  Ms. Casey was in favor of meeting every other week.  Mr. Bergeron was in favor of meeting every other week to provide time for reviewing materials.  Mr. Farris felt that some issues could be reviewed every other week, but there were other issues that needed to be reviewed every week.  Mr. Lynde said that the every other week schedule could be tried, but believed there were some issues that would need to be addressed immediately.  There was a brief discussion regarding changing the schedule.

 

The Selectmen decided to change the schedule and meet every other week as a trial, to be reviewed at the end of October. 

 

Budget review schedule

 

Ms. Casey said that Mr. Pitts had scheduled the budget review schedule and asked that it be finalized.  There was a brief discussion regarding the budget review schedule and the format to be used.  The Selectmen decided to review the budget format and discuss concerns at the next meeting.

 

Review of Municipal Building Committee’s recommendation for architectural services

 

Mr. McDevitt said that two vendors had responded to the request for quotes sent out regarding municipal space needs.  He said the Building Committee met with representatives from both companies.  He said that the Building Committee recommended Breadloaf Corporation to the Selectmen.  He said that the Committee was unaware of the cost for the work, and made their determination based on the work needing to be done.  Mr. McDevitt said that if the Selectmen did not approve of Breadloaf Corporation, the second company would do a good job doing the work. 

 

Ms. Casey noted that Breadloaf’s proposed cost would not exceed $56,000.  She said that they provided a list of services and costs associated with the bid.  Ms. Casey said that CN Carly’s bid was $55,150.   She felt that the Building Committee should be supplied with both bids to review.  Mr. Pitts said to reduce the costs, the scope should be reviewed and possibly items could be eliminated.  There was a brief discussion to determine how to proceed.  It was decided to send the bids back to the Budget Committee for review and to possibly contact the two companies for a revised/reduced scope and cost breakdown based on the money the Town had. 

 

 

TOWN ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT/SELECTMEN’S REPORT

 

Mr. Pitts said that the Pelham Firefighters Association was currently holding a telephone fundraiser.  He said that the proceeds would benefit the many community-based donations given by the Pelham Firefighters Association.  He also noted that donors would receive tickets to the Third Annual Celebrity Softball Game to be held September 29, 2002.  There was a brief discussion regarding what percentage would go directly to the Fire Department.  Mr. Farris said if people were concerned they could donate directly to the Fire Department. 

 

Mr. Bergeron said that he received a report from Superintendent Bruce Mason of the Solid Waste Facility.  Mr. Mason requested that someone come back and re-evaluate what was wrong with the conveyor because waste materials were getting trapped between the belt and the floor.  Mr. Bergeron announced that the Board of Adjustment would hold their next meeting September 10, 2002.  Mr. Bergeron ended by saying that Gibson Cemetery had roads paved and was looking good. 

 

Mr. Farris said that the Municipal Building Committee had remained active.  He would like to see all the members come back, now that summer was through.  He said that a final pre-draft of the cable contract was expected soon.

 

Mr. McDevitt said he had received two phone calls regarding the hours at the Transfer Station and asked that it be discussed during an upcoming meeting.  Mr. Pitts will add an agenda item for the next meeting. 

 

Mr. Lynde announced that Old Home Day would be Saturday beginning at 8am-8pm.  He discussed the type of actives that would be conducted.  Mr. Lynde discussed the agenda items from the Planning Board meeting that had been held two weeks earlier.  He said that Mr. Clay Mitchell, Interim Planning Director would like to meet with the Selectmen regarding the decision made for the computer software.  He asked where the Town was with finding Mr. Mitchell’s replacement.  Mr. Pitts said the advertisement had gone out to various places with a deadline of September 21, 2002.     

 

Ms. Casey said that Pop Warner would be held September 9, 2002 and asked that people drive safe.  She also reminded people to remain safe because school was back in session.  Mr. Farris asked that some of the bushes at the entrance of Muldoon be cut back to increase site distance.   

 

REQUEST FOR NON-PUBLIC SESSION

 

Ms. Casey said that because she did not attend the original meeting for one item that would be discussed during the non-public session, she would therefore not be involved in any discussions moving forward.  Ms. Casey stepped down.  Mr. Farris was acting Chairperson. 

 

MOTION:

(Lynde/McDevitt) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,a (personnel).

 

ROLL CALL:

 

Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes

 

Mr. Farris noted that when the Board returned, after the non-public session, the Board may take further action publicly.  The Board entered into a non-public session at approximately 9:25 pm. 

 

The Board returned to public session at approximately      pm.

 

MOTION:

 

(  ) To seal the minutes of the non-public session indefinitely.

 

VOTE:

 

(   )

 

ADJOURNMENT

 

MOTION:           (    ) To adjourn the meeting.

 

VOTE:                 (      )

 

The meeting was adjourned at approximately      pm.

 

                                                                                          Respectfully submitted,

 

                                                                                          Charity A. L. Willis

                                                                                          Recording Secretary