June 11, 2002

APPROVED Ė June 18, 2002






Mr. Greg Farris, Mr. Hal Lynde (arrived shortly after the meeting started), Mr. William McDevitt, Mr. Jean-Guy Bergeron, Mr. Richard Derby


Also present:



Mr. Pat MacQueen, Interim Town Administrator, members of the press and general public.




Chairman Farris opened the meeting at approximately 6:30 pm.








PUBLIC HEARING - donation of a hovercraft boat to the Fire Department


Fire Chief David Fisher said that the Fire Department had received a donation of a hovercraft and trailer from the Pelham Fire Auxiliary which could be used on snow, ice, water and hot top.He said for the summer it would be kept on its trailer behind the Fire Department and in the winter it would possibly be stored under the Town Hall Annex.He said that purchase price was $2500 but the value was approximately $10,000.



(Bergeron/Derby) To accept the gift of the hovercraft to be used by the Pelham Fire Department from the Pelham Fire Auxiliary, on this date of June 11, 2002.




(4 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


There was no public input.The motion to accept the hovercraft stood.


Fire Chief on Fire Substation


Mr. Farris noted that the Fire Chief had brought forward his request to CIP and at a prior Selectmen meeting for fire substations and believed it was important for the public to hear what the preliminary plans were.


Fire Chief David Fisher put a plan together for the next few years to expand coverage in the Town and decrease the amount of time it took to get to some locations.He said included in the plans were to add substations in the vicinity of the following locations 1) Ledge Road and Shephard Road; 2) general area of Coombs Junkyard; 3) new Central Station off of Fletcher Drive.He said the locations were chosen so that the Fire Department could work with the Master Plan and Planning Board to review construction and create an impact fee for use within six years.He said the whole project would possibly take approximately 10 years.Chief Fisher said he had discussions with people from other boards that suggested holding off on the substations and focus more on a new central station because of talk concerning changing the center of Town.However, Chief Fisher felt strongly regarding implementing a substation in the Spring Street area.He said that some residents may have concern about the location, which is why he chose an area near Ledge and Shephard Road that had Town owned land on both sides.He said there may be an opportunity for a different location based on land about to become accessible.He said at the proposed new central station they would like to add training grounds.


Mr. McDevitt said he had been contacted by residents and suggested that the substation be located at a location where there were currently no homes.Chief Fisher said that the plans were not definite and his priority was a substation near Spring Street.Mr. McDevitt asked if the Planning Board were involved in the process.Chief Fisher said they had been told the same information.Mr. McDevitt wanted to know to what extent the building would complement a residential area.Chief Fisher said that drawings would be created for public review.He said that he was not looking for the outside looks, his concern was the function of the building.He said that he also had plans for adding a second floor to the existing Fire Station.


Mr. Bergeron asked if the substation would be manned.Chief Fisher said that at this time the building would contain vehicles and would be manned by call people.Mr. Bergeron asked how many minutes it currently took to have an ambulance and a fire truck go out on a call.Chief Fisher said that from the central station it took a minute or less to get an ambulance out and approximately a minute to get a fire truck out.Mr. Bergeron asked how the time would differ with a substation.Chief Fisher said that with the cut through to Spring Street approximately 5 - 7 minutes could be taken off of response time.Mr. Bergeron asked how a quicker response time would help the community.Chief Fisher said that fires doubled in size every minute.He said that there were no words for how important a faster ambulances respond time would be.


Mr. Farris suggested having a design or conceptual created so that all pieces were in place when the project was ready to begin.Chief Fisher reiterated that the Spring Street substation was the most important thing to him.


Chief Fisher said that for the past five years the Fire Department had been working to lower the Fire Rate (ISO) for the insurance in Town.He said a majority of the Town still had a high rate because there was no water and there were no substations.He believed when the substation was put in and cisterns were placed in the new developments, the insurance premiums should be lowered.


Mr. McDevitt asked if there was an estimate of the impact fees collected versus the cost for the substation.Chief Fisher did not have an estimate.He said that all the impact fees from the Town would apply to the project and hoped, that at the time the project was ready, they would have half the money.Mr. Farris said that the surplus from the ambulance fees may possibly be reviewed to help offset the cost of the substation.


Chief Fisher said that he left brochures for the Selectmen regarding the Townís Haz Mat district.He said the brochure would become available to the public for review to better understand what the Haz Mat team did.He said that a tape explaining what the Haz Mat team did would be shown on cable television.He ended by requesting that his Selectmenís Representative be assigned to the Hazardous Materials District Board of Directors.Mr. Bergeron did not have a problem being assigned to the Hazardous Materials District Board of Directors.


Proposed tax deeds, Tax Collector


Ms. Dottie Marsden met with the Selectmen to provide information on three properties proposed to be deeded to the Town.She discussed the location of the properties.Mr. MacQueen reviewed the properties and didnít see any reason why the properties would not be taken for taxes.He said that Mr. Bob Yarmo, Chairman of the Conservation Commission also reviewed the properties and felt the same way he did.


Mr. McDevitt reviewed Ms. Marsdenís correspondence, and confirmed with her that there were no houses on the two properties (ML 10-306 & 10-310) and the owners did not want the land and did not want to pay the taxes.He said the two parcels were extremely wet and didnít have a problem taking them over since they were close to an abutting parcel in the process of being deeded to the Town.†††


Ms. Marsden said the third property was the island in the middle of Little Island Pond.Mr. McDevitt wanted to know, since the owner was deceased, if the property would revert to the estate if the Town did not want the property.Mr. MacQueen said if the Town did not take the title, the estate would, tax-free.Mr. Derby noted that the parcel was one fifth of an acre.Mr. McDevitt wanted to know if the property was not taken now, if it could be later.Mr. MacQueen said the property could be taken later.Mr. McDevitt would like to hold off on making a decision regarding the Little Island Pond property.



(Derby/McDevitt) To take ML 10-307 and 10-306 for non-payment of taxes.




(4 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Once the properties are deeded, the Selectmen will decide if the parcels would be Town property or Conservation land.Mr. Farris noted that the Selectmen would hold off making a decision regarding the property at Little Island Pond.


NRPC Highways & other issues


Mr. Andrew Singlakis of NRPC met with the Selectmen to discuss the long-range transportation plan update.He introduced Mr. Steve Williams who presented a Power Point presentation regarding the Transportation Program.He said the three issues he would discuss were: 1) Long range Transportation Plan Update,2) how NRPC could help the Town secure federal funds, and 3) Town-wide transportation issues and the need for the Town-wide transportation study.†††


Mr. Williams began by discussing the Long-range Transportation Plan Update, which would be revised every two years.He explained the reasons for updating the plan and noted that the Planning Director was included in the process, and that it would also include information from the Master Plan.He then reviewed funding sources.Mr. Williams reviewed the National Highway System Projects and discussed what they focused on.He discussed the Service Transportation Projects (STP) proposed in surrounding towns and how they would accommodate increasing traffic.He explained the Transportation Enhancement Projects as well as the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ), which provided direction for commuter capabilities.Mr. Williams said there were three turnpike projects currently being reviewed and noted that the Hudson/Litchfield/Merrimack/Nashua Circumferential Highway was the largest of the three.He said there was only one Betterment Project in the works.


Mr. Williams noted that Pelham was not involved in any of the current NRPC projects.He said that Pelham had transportation needs and as development continued, so would the need.He went on to discuss the process of how a project could be funded.Mr. Bergeron wanted to know how soon money would be granted if the Town applied for funding of the traffic study.Mr. Williams said that the state kept track of how much money was spent on Urban Surface Transportation Program Funds and NHDOT had a balance of approximately $136,000 owed to Pelham for projects, which would require a 20% match of funds.He said that the Town could apply for more funds if needed, and NRPC would help with the application process.Mr. Singlakis said the NHDOT ran a tally and there was no real account so there would be a need to reprogram a project into the ten-year plan.Mr. Bergeron asked if the Town could fund a project earlier, and if approved, have it reimbursed.Mr. Singlakis said that had happened in the past, but they would need to discuss the situation with NHDOT.Mr. Bergeron wanted to know if it were favorable that the Town had not asked for recent funding.Mr. Singlakis said it would be favorable and suggested that the Town get an application submitted.


Mr. McDevitt wanted to know how detailed a project needed to be defined.Mr. Singlakis said that the Town would need to choose the type of design wanted.He said that another option would be to submit a placeholder.Mr. MacQueen confirmed that the GEOD study could be used to take the project forward because the actual design would not occur until years later.


Mr. Williams continued reviewing his presentation and addressed issues for consideration as the Town identified projects.He recommended that when transportation issues were being reviewed, the interconnectivity of the Town should also be reviewed to eliminate the creation of problems in other areas.Mr. Williams suggested that a Town-wide Traffic Study be done.He reviewed the types of long-range projects the Town should consider.He showed the Selectmen a volume to capacity ratio map, which showed the main transportation links within the Town.


Mr. Farris said an exaction had been received by the Planning Board for the intersection of Route 38 and Old Gage Hill Road and wanted to know if the study had been included in the application.Mr. Williams didnít believe that it had been received in time.He suggested that if the Town planned on having future applications for projects that NRPC be involved in the process.


Mr. Lynde arrived.


Mr. McDevitt discussed the study that was done in 1992 and said that the Town needed help prioritizing the projects needing to be done.Mr. Singlakis said that NRPC could help.


Mr. Bergeron wanted to know the timeframe of the Interstate 93 project.Mr. Singlakis said that it was part of a ten-year plan and was still going through the adoption process.He strongly suggested as part of the approval process that the Town point out the increase in traffic volume at Exit 36.Mr. Derby noted that Stiles Road would also impact the Town.There was a discussion regarding traffic flow amounts and how the Town would possibly be impacted over the next twenty years.


Mr. McDevitt discussed the Town center GEOD study and wanted to know what needed to be listed for the application for funding.Mr. Singlakis said the Town would need to pick one alternative.He asked if there were funds for the destruction of buildings, public or private.Mr. Singlakis said that the state would review and a public hearing would be held and the amount would be completely assessed.Mr. Lynde discussed the grading system and wanted to know if it would effect which option was preferred.Mr. Williams said that the state had a standard of at least a level D.Mr. Singlakis felt the Town center project was a good one to start with.


Mr. Farris discussed the fire substations and wanted to know if an application should be submitted for them.He asked what would happen if later on the Town didnít approve the funds and if the project would get bumped.Mr. Singlakis said it would.


Mr. Farris ended by saying that Mr. MacQueen would draft a letter for approval of being involved with NRPC in a Hazard Mitigation Plan.He said that an agenda item would be posted for a proposed traffic study.


Non-public Session per RSA 91-A:3(d) - Conservation Commission on Picard Land





(McDevitt/Bergeron) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,d (land).




Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Derby-Yes


The Board entered into a non-public session at approximately 8:10pm.


The Board returned to public session at approximately 8:30 pm.


Lt. Roark, request to apply for Police grant


Lieutenant Roark met with the Selectmen to request that an application be submitted for a Police grant.He said the primary purpose of the officer would be for traffic enforcement.He discussed the number of complaints received and believed that seeking the grant would help the situation.He said the grant proposal was for $75,000 from the Department of Justice, which would decrease over three years.He said one stipulation of the grant was that the position be carried and paid for by the Town in the forth year.Lt. Roark discussed how the position would supplement and fill in for the other two patrol cruisers during vacation days.


Mr. Bergeron asked if an additional cruiser would be needed.Lt. Roark said the department had a vehicle for the officer to use.


Lt. Roark asked the Selectmen for permission to seek the grant.He understood that it would need to be on the ballot for Town vote.





(Lynde/Bergeron) To authorize the Police Department to apply for a grant for an additional officer as discussed, such officer to be funded by a Federal grant in the amount of $75,000.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.




Municipal Building Project


Mr. McDevitt said that Breadloaf would be coming June 19, 2002 to meet with the Police Chief, Library Director and the Town Administrator.He said that he had requested that Breadloaf send information of how they qualify companies to be included in bidding jobs.He said the information should come shortly.


Mr. Lynde said that the Town Treasurer gathered rate information from the NH Municipal Bond Bank.He said they may do a special offering at the end of July.


Mr. MacQueen said he requested a drawdown schedule from Breadloaf to help the Town better determine how the process would go.Mr. Farris informed that the Zions Bank representative would meet with the Selectmen June 12th at 4pm to answer any additional questions.




Request to allow donation of sick time


Mr. MacQueen said that the Police Department currently had an employee out on the FMLA because they had run out of earned time.He said the department had proposed that employees be allowed to donate some of their time.He provided the Selectmen with a draft policy, and said if it were approved he would like the ability to also amend any and all of the bargaining agreements if the unions chose to do so.


Mr. Bergeron asked if it would be difficult to monitor.Mr. MacQueen didnít believe that it would be difficult.He felt it would be a good thing for the workers in the Town.Mr. McDevitt was in favor of the request in this instance, but believed that anything contained in a bargaining agreement should be bargained.There was a brief discussion regarding bargaining agreements and if sick time donation should be allowed in this instance.Mr. MacQueen said that the new agreement contained donation language, but those employees were too new and shouldnít be donating their time.He didnít feel that adding a sick time donation clause would be a viable negotiation point.


Mr. Derby felt that if employees were willing to donate time, they should be able to.Mr. Bergeron agreed.Mr. MacQueen felt that there should be a Town-wide policy, and should not be limited to bargaining agreements.Mr. McDevitt made a motion quoting language provided by the Police Chief as follows: To agree to allow older member of the Police Union and/or Town employees the option of donating either earned time or sick pool time to an employee in need, should they so desire.Mr. Derby seconded.Mr. MacQueen urged the Selectmen to adopt a Town-wide donation of sick time policy and authorize him to sign amendments and incorporate language into the contract for any bargaining unit that wants to.



(McDevitt/Derby) To adopt a Town-wide donation of sick time policy and to authorize the Town Administrator to sign amendments and incorporate language into contracts for any bargaining unit that wanted to.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Elementary School Inspections


Mr. Farris read aloud a letter pertaining to the new Elementary School that was submitted by Mr. Roland Soucy, Building Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer.In the letter Mr. Soucy informed that construction and final inspection of the new Elementary School had been completed.Mr. Soucy discussed the changes in the building components.He informed the certificate of occupancy would be issued in the next week and wanted to know if the Selectmen had any questions.Mr. McDevitt felt that some of the content of the letter should be addressed to the School Board.




June 4, 2002



(Derby/Lynde) To approve the June 4, 2002 minutes as written.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.††




Mr. MacQueen said that some of the seniors involved in the bus accident awhile ago were concerned because they hadnít received their claim money.He said that the insurance carrier for the person believed to have driven in front of the bus and caused the accident had denied coverage.He believed the Townís carrier was on top of the situation and would hopefully have justice soon.Mr. MacQueen said that he was writing a letter explaining the situation to the persons involved.


Mr. Derby had no report.


Mr. McDevitt said that he had attended a meeting regarding the Wolven property, which ended up being a discussion between the two attorneys.He said that Ms. Sue Hovling asked if he could attend a grant conference, which he did.He said Ms. Hovling was interested in a grant to lower/remove the barriers in the Town.Mr. McDevitt said that Ms. Hovling took the information and would decide if she would pursue the grant.Mr. McDevitt then reviewed pictures he had taken at Newcomb Field.He was concerned with the number of beer cans in the trash.He felt the Selectmen should discuss at a future meeting.Mr. Farris said at the time the Menís Softball renewed their contract for use of the field, the alcohol policy was made clear.He said the Selectmen were assured that the alcohol use was not a regular occurrence.He believed a note should be sent to the Menís Softball League giving a final notice, and if alcohol is consumed after the games, they would lose their right to use the field.Mr. McDevitt ended his report by informing that the Strawberry Festival would be held at the Senior Center June 29, 2002 from 11am - 3pm.


Mr. Lynde said that the Master Plan Committee met and had finalized the plan which would be scheduled for approval on the July 15, 2002 Planning Board agenda.


Mr. Bergeron informed that Mr. Bruce Mason and Mr. Larry Neskey attended the NRRA & NHDES sponsored seminars on brush piles.He announced that the brush pile area would be open June 25 - 29, 2002.He said the next household hazardous waste collection date would be Saturday, August 3, 2002 from 8am - 12noon directions and information could be found at the Transfer Station.


Mr. McDevitt said he went to a Park & Recreation meeting and it appeared from Mr. Bob Tryonís report that the swamp mats were being removed per the agreement.He also informed that there had been another vandalism incident at Pelham Veterans Memorial Park.He said this incident was more serious than the last.


Mr. Farris said that CIP had met and had one meeting left to vote and finalize the CIP to be submitted to the Planning Board and Selectmen presentation.He informed that the Bike Rodeo held at Chunkyís had been a success.Mr. Farris said that a youth in Town had a serious OHRV accident.He said the Police Chief said he would be instituting a safety-training course for children.




MOTION:†††††††††† (McDevitt/Bergeron) To adjourn the meeting.


VOTE:†††††††††††††††† (5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:30 pm.


††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Respectfully submitted,


††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Charity A. L. Willis

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Recording Secretary