June 18, 2002

APPROVED – June 25, 2002






Mr. Greg Farris, Mr. Hal Lynde (arrived after the meeting started), Mr. William McDevitt, Mr. Jean-Guy Bergeron, Mr. Richard Derby


Also present:



Mr. Pat MacQueen, Interim Town Administrator, members of the press and general public.




Chairman Farris opened the meeting at approximately 6:30 pm. 




June 12, 2002



(McDevitt/Derby) To approve the June 12, 2002 minutes as amended.




(3 - 0 - 1) The motion carries.  Mr. Farris abstained.


June 11, 2002



(Derby/Bergeron) To approve the June 11, 2002 minutes as amended.




(4 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


September 4, 2001



(McDevitt/Bergeron) To approve the September 4, 2001 minutes as amended.




(3 - 0 - 1) The motion carries.  Mr. Derby abstained.




Mr. Dave Hennessey, 71 Dutton Road discussed his frustration with obtaining an answer from the Planning Board and/or Planning Department.  He was seeking copies of minutes and agendas from a Cul-de-sac Sub-committee of the Planning Board.  He believed there was a problem with the postings from the May 20, 2002 Planning Board meeting (per RSA 91-A) where there was to be minor textural changes to the Subdivision Regulations, which turned out to be a change in the cul-de-sac length from 1100’ to 2400’ based upon a report from the cul-de-sac subcommittee.  Mr. Hennessey said the public was entitled to the minutes, agendas and all public information from the subcommittee.  He said that he had put his request in writing and sent a registered letter to the Planning Department and had not received the courtesy of a phone call.  He had been told by the Planning Board Chairman that the proposed changes to the regulations had been with Town Counsel since the end of May.  Mr. Hennessey asked the Selectmen for help in obtaining the backup data used by the Cul-de-sac Committee when creating the amendments to the Subdivision Regulations.  Mr. MacQueen will follow up with legal and respond to Mr. Hennessey.  Mr. MacQueen will also give the Selectmen an update at the next meeting. 




Non-public Session per RSA 91-A:3 II(b) - Interview for part time help for Highway Department





(McDevitt/Bergeron) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,b (public employee).




Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Derby-Yes


The Board entered into a non-public session at approximately 6:40pm. 


The Board returned to public session at approximately 6:48pm.



(Derby/McDevitt) To hire Mr. Ralph Barrett III as a part-time employee of the Highway Department at a rate of $13.20 per hour, for twenty hours or more per week (with no benefits), subject to a pre-employment testing for the use of drugs and controlled substances as well as the misuse of alcohol, criminal background check and a good driving record submitted by the applicant. 




(4 - 0 - 0) The motion carries. 




Municipal Building


Mr. McDevitt reminded the Selectmen that there would be a meeting on June 19, 2002 with Breadloaf and Department heads to review design drawings.  He reviewed the agenda for the Breadloaf meeting.  He informed that Breadloaf provided the bidding detail for review.  He said that there was a note regarding the hiring of people for construction that he wanted to clarify.  The Selectmen did not mind Mr. McDevitt clarifying the issue during the June 19th meeting with Breadloaf.   


Bergeron 90-day junkyard license expires June 29, 2002


Mr. Bergeron stepped down. 


Mr. Farris said a letter had been received by DES that contained specific dates and timeframes pertaining to Jean-Guys Used Cars and Parts.  He suggested that the Selectmen read the letter and comment at the next meeting. 


Mr. McDevitt had a question that he believed should be addressed through Town Counsel.  He said he would pass his question along to Mr. MacQueen for Town Counsel, in case it required research. 


Mr. Farris  noted that the Selectmen would need to act upon Mr. Bergeron’s license at the next meeting because the license would expire before an additional meeting could be held. 


Discuss issues regarding Newcomb Field


Mr. Farris said there had been some issues with regard to alcohol use and the amount of trash at Newcomb Field.  Mr. Darryl Gagne, President, Men’s Softball League, was unable to attend the meeting, but submitted a letter, which Mr. Farris read aloud.  In the letter, Mr. Gagne explained that there had been a lot of trash left at the field during the winter months that had filled the dumpster.  Mr. Gagne’s letter also noted that he would ensure that the trash would be emptied on a regular basis.  Mr. Gagne urged that the Selectmen take no action on the matter and said he would make himself available if there were a need to contact him. 


Mr. McDevitt said he admired the volunteer work Mr. Gagne donated.  He said that the trash contained approximately 50% of beer bottles.  He asked that Mr. Tryon review the issue and provide a recommendation of how the situation should be handled.  He asked if there was alcohol consumption at the field.  Mr. Tryon said there was and would speak with Mr. Gagne and Police Chief Haglund to come up with a solution.  Mr. McDevitt said he would like to see an assurance from the Softball League, so the Police would not need to be involved. 


Park and Recreation Revenue


Mr. MacQueen said the Selectmen had received a memo explaining Park and Recreation’s revenue and where they go.  He said there was a complete list of the programs that engender fees and in every one of the cases, the fees went directly to the General Fund.  He said the one exception was travel soccer, which had a practice of making donations to Friends of Recreation in Pelham (“FRIP”) which was not a Town account.  He reiterated that none of the Town programs gave money to an outside group.  He said there was no Town revenue that was not being channeled directly into the General Fund. 


Mr. Farris asked if Travel Basketball paid to FRIP, to which Mr. Tryon answered yes.  Mr. Tryon said that Youth Basketball had been informed that as of next year, they would be responsible completely for their operation and be billed directly by the School District. 


Mr. Farris asked if a dollar figure could be listed for revenues to the offset could be listed on the budget.  Mr. Tryon said they would include all offset fees. 


Mr. MacQueen said that there had been a memo amending the summer help list.  He said that one person had been deleted and two new people had been added.  He said that the Selectmen would review at the next meeting.  Mr. Tryon said that everyone would have completed their background check by then. 


Mr. Tryon said that he had been in touch with Gregory and Cook regarding the swamp mats and was informed that approximately 50% would be remaining at the end of the month deadline.  He said that he was awaiting a return phone call from Gregory and Cook to find out what their plans were. 


Mr. Derby asked who maintained Newcomb Field.  Mr. Tryon said that Park and Recreation maintained the field itself, but the general maintenance was the responsibility of Men’s Softball. 


Mr. Tryon ended by informing that the inmate program had begun and would last approximately two weeks.  He discussed the types of projects that would be done and noted that a tremendous amount of work would be completed by the end of the two-week period. 


Oak Hill Estate street names


Mr. Farris said that a letter had been received by the Staff (f/k/a Safety Committee) concerning street names.  He said the Staff had selected names for two streets within the Oak Hill Estate subdivision 1) Bear Hill Drive, and 2) Jay Bird Lane.



(Bergeron/Derby) To name the first proposed road off Mammoth Road as Bear Hill Drive and the second proposed road that runs off the first road in Oak Hill Estate to be called Jay Bird Lane.




(4 - 0 - 0) The motion carries. 




Police Budget, Chief Haglund


Mr. Farris read aloud a notice submitted by the Police Department regarding OHRV safety training course.  He said that the Police Department together with Fish and Game would be conducting a safety training course August 3, 2002 from 9am-3:30pm, for more information call 271-3361.  He said that the course would be held a couple times per year.


Police Chief Haglund and Lieutenant Roark met with the Selectmen and presented the budget for review. 


Salaries - the increases were related to contractual obligations. 


Supplies - there had been a 2% increase across the board, due to inflation.  He reviewed the line items listed and what noted which items had slight increases. 


Utilities - the major change was that the building expenses were moved from their account back to a Town expense.  Mr. McDevitt confirmed with Mr. MacQueen that the budget setup would be changed to a centralized building account.  Mr. MacQueen said it would be changed if the Budget Committee were agreeable. 


Gasoline - the amount would be noted when the bid was decided upon.


Miscellaneous Auto - there was a slight reduction.


Repairs - the change was a reduction.  Mr. McDevitt asked if the copier was solely a maintenance agreement.  Chief Haglund said the agreement covered repair and some supplies.


Rentals - most of this remained the same.


New Equipment - included are K-9 safety training sleeves, narcotic used in training, overdose kit, fax machines, label writers, scanner and redman foam rubber suit (for self defense course).  Chief Haglund discussed a women’s self-defense training program that would be sponsored by the Police Department.  Mr. McDevitt asked how the course would differ from a regular self-defense course.  Chief Haglund said that the students would have the ability to strike the person and be more physical. 


Manual Subscriptions - reduced from last year.


Chief Haglund also reviewed the following items - dues, professional development, uniform, radar, misc. expenses, reimbursements, computer, and water. 


Details - was reduced, but was expected to increase during 2004.


Mr. McDevitt believed that computer expenses and repair should be further discussed.  Mr. Farris said that Chief Haglund, Lt. Roark, Mr. Lynde, Mr. Victor Danevich and Mr. Jim Greenwood met to review the wiring requirements in the new building and what system would be needed as well as what the current needs were. 


Warrant Articles


1) Two police cruisers.  Chief Haglund said the state bid would come in during the fall.  He said that the upgraded light bars would be on the new cruisers.  Mr. Bergeron asked if the old lights could be upgraded.  Chief Haglund discussed the difficulties with installing the extra equipment to upgrade the current light bars.  Lt. Roark said the Police Department would like to standardize all the vehicles to alleviate confusion when an officer was responding to a call.  Mr. Bergeron wanted to know how long it would take to replace the old cruiser to include the new function.  Chief Haglund said it would take three years.  He noted that the two primary cruisers would contain the new light bars.  There was a discussion regarding the reasons for new cruisers and how they were used as Town vehicles when taken from the front line.  Mr. McDevitt asked for a breakdown of costs for repairing older cars.  Chief Haglund said he would provide a report if requested, but sorting through the files would be a difficult task.  He noted that when the IMC system was implemented, he would be able to print out such reports.  Lt. Roark said that when the department purchased vehicles the extended warrantee (100,000 miles) was also purchased. 


2) New officer through state grant.  Mr. Farris discussed the wording of the Warrant Article and believed that it should be revised so that the funds did not lapse.  There was a brief discussion regarding how the Warrant Article should be worded.  Mr. MacQueen, Chief Haglund and Mr. Bob Blanchette will review the wording and amend.  Mr. McDevitt suggested adding additional detailed back up describing the need for the additional officer. 


Highway Budget, Don Foss, Highway Agent


Mr. Don Foss reviewed his budget submitted to the Selectmen.


Salaries - the increase was due to contractual increases as well as adding additional help.  Mr. Foss said that he had taken out three part time laborers because the new trucks did not require two people.  He noted that the overtime listed would possibly be used in the winter depending upon the weather.  Mr. McDevitt said that the budget was re-reviewed and adjusted near the end of the season. 


Supplies - the reason for the increase was that prices had risen.  Mr. Foss said that he was waiting for the state bid for the salt price.  He noted that there was an increase in tonnage due to the new roads.  Mr. McDevitt asked how many miles of approved public roads there were.  Mr. Foss believed there were approximately 87 miles.  He noted that there were approximately thirty-four roads that were waiting to be approved. 


Utilities - there was a discussion regarding which items would be moved to the Town building account.  He noted the increase in gas and oil, which was due to the additional truck. 


Equipment repairs - Mr. Foss discussed what had been spent for repairs this year.  He said that he would possibly request replacing the one-ton truck next year.  He noted that the one-ton was used year-round for various purposes.


Equipment rentals - the cost per catch basin was increased.  Mr. Farris wanted to know how the budget would be affected if new roads were approved by the Town.  Mr. Foss said that the Town would be responsible for plowing at the point that the Planning Board released the final bond, whether the Town had accepted the road, or not.  In general, Mr. Foss didn’t feel his budget would be affected. 


Mr. Lynde arrived.


Mr. Bergeron discussed the type of vehicle used for cleaning the catch basins, and wanted to know what the expense would be if the Town owned it.  Mr. Foss said he hadn’t researched the price, because he believed there were other things needed first. 


New equipment - there were miscellaneous costs, no large expenses.


Expenses - increase due to federally mandated drug and alcohol testing.  Mr. Foss added engineering services, which had not been listed in the past.  He felt there was a need due to the additional mandates by the EPA.  Mr. McDevitt wanted to know what would be included for the fee.  Mr. Foss said he would be bringing a proposal to the Selectmen at the next meeting. 


Street lighting - the amount was the same as last year, because the price had yet to be determined.


Specials - a garage study.  Mr. Foss provided a backup letter from Breadloaf.  Mr. Farris said that a proposal had been brought before the CIP and it had been suggested that Mr. Foss get more detailed information as to the cost of a garage. 


Warrant Articles


1) Tractor with a rotary boom mower.  Mr. Foss said that he had requested it in the past and believed the tractor would be a great investment for the Town.  He said the vehicle could also be used at the parks for the trails.  Mr. Farris wanted to know if the tractor could drag a mower for ball fields.  Mr. Foss said the tractor could drag a mower, but would need turf tires (the turf tires could be used during its primary purpose).  He noted that he would not need extra help if the vehicle were purchased.  Mr. Farris suggested that Mr. Foss provide backup that described the additional uses the vehicle could perform. 

2) Highway Block Grant money.  Mr. Foss said it was left blank because the information would not be received from the state until October.  Mr. McDevitt wanted to know if the Selectmen needed to vote to accept the grant because the Selectmen already had the authority to accept grants.  Mr. MacQueen said that a number of towns took the money in as revenue to the general fund.  There was a brief discussion regarding the possibility of changing the budget to include the Highway Block Grant money.  The Selectmen decided to keep the grant money as a Warrant Article, but requested that backup information be provided.

3) Full-time laborer/equipment operator.  Mr. Farris asked if the part-time employee hired earlier in the evening would be changed to a full-time position.  Mr. Foss said the part-time position would be changed to full-time.  Mr. Farris suggested that the budget be changed to reflect the difference in salary of the part-time to full-time position, rather than budgeting for the entire salary of the full-time person.  Mr. McDevitt asked how many full-time people the Highway Department would have if the Warrant Article passed.  Mr. Foss said there were seven employees, including himself.  Mr. McDevitt asked how many people were in the department in 1993.  Mr. Foss said there were five people including himself.  He noted that the need for the additional help was not solely due to recent development, but was in part due to the development in the late 1970’s/early 1980’s needing repairs.


4) Part-time Secretary (20 hrs. per week for Highway/20 hrs. per week for theTransfer Station).  Mr. Foss explained that there was more and more paperwork for him to do, as well as telephone support he could use.  Mr. Bergeron asked how much time was spent going back and forth to the Town Hall Annex.  Mr. Foss said he went into the office two or more times per day.  He went on to discuss the need for secretarial help.


5) To raise and appropriate $75,000 so that $57,000 could be withdrawn from the Bridge Capital Reserve Fund and expended to cover the Town’s portion (20%) for repair of the Tallant Road/Willow Street bridge.  Mr. Farris believed that the Warrant Article should be split in two.  He said the first article should be to place $75,000 into the Bridge Capital Reserve Fund and the second article should be to authorize Mr. Foss to expend up to an additional $57,000 (the Town’s 20% share) for repair of the Tallant Road/Willow Street bridge.  The Selectmen were in agreement to separate the Warrant Article into two separate ones. 




Mr. MacQueen had no report.


Mr. Bergeron informed that the Board of Adjustment held a meeting June 10, 2002.  He discussed the proceedings of the meeting.  He said that he met with Mr. Bruce Mason of the Transfer Station who told him that Mr. Jean-Claude Bergeron and Mr. Bob Long attended a seminar regarding hazardous waste management.   He said that the brush pile would be open June 25 - 29, 2002.  He ended by saying the keys to the new fuel system will be programmed June 20, 2002 and distributed to all departments that use the fuel pumps. 


Mr. Lynde informed that the Planning Board met June 17, 2002.  He discussed the proceedings of the meeting.  He ended by informing that Mr. Clay Mitchell, Interim Planning Director attended his last meeting, but would remain on call, which would be paid for by the developer's fees. 


Mr. McDevitt said that he and Mr. Lynde attended the final assembly at E.G. Sherburne School and were presented a gold key to the school.  He asked that an agenda item be added to discuss the little island of Little Island Pond.  He said that there was a meeting with Mr. Bob Blanchette and two members of the Budget Committee to discuss general issues with the 2003 budget.  He said that the Budget Committee has taken a position that they want a level tax rate and would be looking for justification and backup information.  The Budget Committee requested a schedule of the Selectmen’s budget review.  Mr. MacQueen said there was not a set schedule.  Mr. Farris believed that the Selectmen’s budget review should be completed by mid July.  Mr. McDevitt reminded the Selectmen that a vote would need to be taken to appoint Mr. Mason’s replacement during his vacation.



(McDevitt/Bergeron) To appoint Mr. Larry Nesky to be the person in charge of the Transfer Station from July 1, 2002 - July 5, 2002 while Mr. Bruce Mason is on vacation.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries. 


Mr. McDevitt believed there was a need to discuss the Zions Bank proposal.  He believed there had been a feeling amongst the Selectmen to wait until the end of July to make a decision.  Mr. MacQueen will add an agenda item.  Mr. Farris suggested that a sheet be drafted comparing Citizens and Zions banks so there was an easy way to review both proposals.  Mr. Lynde discussed the structure of the Zions Bank proposal.  He said if an appeal did not go to the Supreme Court, the Town should move forward with a public offering.  He said if an appeal was made, the Town would have two options, either to delay the project, or to go with the 4.95%.  Mr. Farris brought up the fact that if an appeal was made to Superior Court, the hearing may take a few years before it began.  There was further discussion regarding the options the Town would have. 


Mr. Bergeron said that he located a licensed auctioneer from Salem, NH that may be available for the surplus auction.  Mr. Farris said that the auction would most likely be held just before Labor Day using the auctioneer who works at Old Home Day.


Mr. Farris said that the last two department heads would be meeting with CIP at the next meeting.  He said that the procedure for accepting the school needed to be reviewed.  Mr. MacQueen said that Town Counsel would review the title for transfer.  Mr. McDevitt said that the Selectmen would need to research the heat, lights and janitorial services.  Mr. MacQueen said that Mr. Jerry Boucher said it had been budgeted through the end of the year.  Mr. Farris believed that the SAU should be contacted to find out what the actual costs are.  Mr. MacQueen will research the costs for maintaining the school.  Mr. Farris ended by informing the 8th grade graduation was a nice ceremony and a lot of awards were handed out to several students.  He also congratulated Mr. Frank Hojlo, the Student of the Year. 





(McDevitt/Bergeron) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II,d, e (land and legal).




Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. Lynde-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Derby-Yes


Mr. Farris noted that when the Board returned, after the non-public session, the Board would not take any other action publicly, except to seal the minutes of the non-public session and to adjourn the meeting.  The Board entered into a non-public session at approximately 9:58pm. 


The Board returned to public session at approximately      pm.




(  ) To seal the minutes of the non-public session indefinitely.




(   )




MOTION:           (    ) To adjourn the meeting.


VOTE:                 (      )


The meeting was adjourned at approximately      pm.


                                                                                          Respectfully submitted,


                                                                                          Charity A. L. Willis

                                                                                          Recording Secretary