APPROVED

 

TOWN OF PELHAM

BOARD OF SELECTMEN MEETING

MINUTES

July 23, 2002

APPROVED – July 30, 2002

 

CALL TO ORDER

PLEDGE OF ALLEGAINCE

 

PRESENT:

Mr. Greg Farris, Mr. William McDevitt, Mr. Jean-Guy Bergeron, Mr. Richard Derby

 

Also present:

 

ABSENT:

Mr. Tom Gaydos, Town Administrator, members of the press and general public.

 

Mr. Hal Lynde

              

Chairman Farris opened the meeting at approximately 6:30 pm. 

 

APPOINTMENTS

 

Presentation of Certificate of Appreciation, Pelham Little League

 

The Selectmen presented the Pelham Little League with a Certificate of Appreciation for the donation of grass, seed, fertilizer, lime and a York Rake to the Park and Recreation Department. 

 

Presentation of Certificate of Appreciation, Pelham/Windham Razorbacks

 

The Selectmen presented the Pelham/Windham Razorbacks with a Certificate of Appreciation for the donation of two sets of bleachers and two player benches to the Park and Recreation Department. 

 

Senator Klemm, Presentation of Awards

 

Senator Klemm presented Mr. Craig Janeszek and Mr. Jacob Reiss with Community Stars for their exemplary service and dedication to the community, over and above school activities.

 

Senator Klemm informed that due to the re-districting he would not be representing District 22 after the next election.  He said that he appreciated the community and informed that even though he would not be the official Senator, he would be available to people if anyone wanted to contact him. 

 

MINUTES REVIEW

 

July 9, 2002

 

MOTION:

(McDevitt/Bergeron) To approve the July 9, 2002 minutes as amended.

 

VOTE:

 

(4 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.

 

Changes to the minutes were as follows: Page 1, last paragraph, second line - “he said that there was a proposed three-lot subdivision”.  Page 5, last paragraph, third line - “publication, but no responses were received”.  Page 9, second paragraph, “been installed in the transfer station’s main building”.   Spelling change throughout document John Illick. 

 

July 16, 2002

 

MOTION:

(Derby/Bergeron) To approve the July 16, 2002 minutes as amended.

 

VOTE:

 

(3 - 0 - 1) The motion carries.  Mr. Farris abstained. 

 

Changes to the minutes: The Selectmen asked that the motion to approve the December 11, 2001 minutes be made by Mr. Lynde, with Mr. Derby abstaining.  At the time these, July 23, 2002, minutes were being transcribed, the recording secretary reviewed the videotape from the July 16, 2002 meeting and requested further clarification of the motion to approve the December 11, 2001 meeting minutes. 

 

OPEN FORUM

 

Mr. Andy Vanti stepped forward to discuss the site for the new Municipal Building.  He asked if there would still be access to the back fields at Sherburne School.  Mr. McDevitt believed that Mr. Vanti would have access throughout the football season.  Mr. Vanti asked if he could have a key to the gate so he could access the storage shed.  Mr. Gaydos said he would contact the School Administration Office to find out how soon the property would be transferred, which he believed was still several weeks away.  He said he would also obtain keys to the gate to allow Mr. Vanti access to the storage shed.  Mr. Vanti said that the season was August 1st - November 1st.  There was a brief discussion regarding how the back fields would be accessed.  Mr. Gaydos said he had copies of the Municipal Building drawings at his office that Mr. Vanti could review. 

 

Mr. Armand Montbleau met with the Selectmen to discuss his concern with people burning at the end of Spaulding Hill Road.  He provided pictures of the area where the people were burning.  He said there was also a problem with people dumping things (such as roofing materials, cars, etc.).  Mr. Montbleau informed that in 1972 the Town disallowed all gates, except one.  He said that years ago, once he built his home, he asked the Selectmen if he would be allowed to add a gate and maintain it.  He said that recently he was having problems with individuals taking the rope and/or chain down due to certain liabilities.  Mr. Montbleau was concerned with burning in the fall due to the lack of water in the area.  He discussed what land he owned. 

 

Mr. Farris suggested contacting all the land owners surrounding the access.  Mr. Gaydos provided the Selectmen with a copy of a letter he sent to Mr. Montbleau (with copies to the Fire and Police Chiefs), referencing the law.  He said he would like the opportunity to discuss the situation with Mr. Montbleau and the Police and Fire Chiefs and find out what obligations the Town had.  Mr. Montbleau said his neighbors were also concerned with fires.  Mr. Gaydos said he would like to have a discussion with the staff and come up with a solution. 

 

There was a discussion regarding the road, which was Town owned, but not maintained by the Town.  There was a question raised about what would happen if the Town abandoned the road, due to abutters possibly using the right-of-way as their frontage requirement per the zoning regulations.  It was suggested to seek Town Counsel’s advice regarding the frontage issue if the Town abandoned the road. 

 

Fire Chief Fisher noted that there were many access areas to the parcel being discussed.  Mr. Derby informed that the Windham/Raymond area had a fatal accident on one of their trails.  He said that they had since placed a board with reflective tape across the access that swung open.  Mr. Montbleau said that he was concerned with the fall season and the fact that hunters also gained entrance to the property through the right-of-way. 

 

Mr. Roger Matte said that Spaulding Hill Road was the most difficult way to access the wooded area being discussed.  He believed that most of the people accessing the area were from the Hudson side.  He said that Hudson and the surrounding owners would need to be involved.  Mr. Matte suggested reclassifying the road as a trail (per RSA 231:21) so that stipulations could be specified to restrict the type of traffic that could access the area. 

 

Mr. McDevitt asked that Mr. Gaydos review the possibility of designating the road as a trail.  Mr. Montbleau said if the road was reclassified, he would like to add a gate, similar to what Mr. Tamposi had installed.  He said that he would make the gate pulled back on the side so that four-wheelers and bikes could still access the area, but cars and trucks would be prohibited.  Mr. Farris asked that Mr. Gaydos be given some time to contact the land owners and Town Counsel before any further action was taken.     

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

Municipal Building

 

Mr. Gaydos informed that work was continuing with RPF Associates and Bread Loaf for asbestos abatement.  He said that the Town Health Officer, Mr. Paul Zarnowski, was working with Kimball-Chase (septic system engineers) to ensure that all criteria was being met.  He said that Bread Loaf was working with Fire Chief Fisher he was satisfied with the plans and that proper accommodations were made for the Fire Department.  Mr. Gaydos said that a meeting was set for July 31, 2002 with the employees and the Building Committee to clarify and review the plans so that any questions could be clarified. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

Budget Review:

 

Emergency Management - Fire Chief Fisher met with the Selectmen and reviewed the budget for Emergency Management.  He said that the amount requested was the same as the previous year.  He noted that any of the start-up money used would be reimbursed through the disaster relief funds.  He recommended that the Selectmen support the Emergency Management Department in utilizing the new elementary school as a shelter area for the residents of the Town in the event of a disaster.  He said that if the school was used as a shelter it would be staffed by personnel from the Town and people from the Red Cross.  Fire Chief Fisher reviewed the remaining items contained within the budget.   

 

Fire Department - Fire Chief Fisher reviewed the budget with the Selectmen.  He began by informing that the $50,000 increase was due to a warrant article for a tanker truck that had been voted upon the previous year.  He said the salaries had been broken down to show when step increases or grade increases would occur.  Mr. McDevitt asked if call firefighters were included within the Selectmen’s budget.  Chief Fisher said that he expected a 2% increase in the amount of calls to the call firefighters.  He believed that the Selectmen determined the call firefighter salary increase within the Selectmen’s budget.  Fire Chief Fisher reviewed the remaining items contained within the Fire Department’s budget.  He discussed the fact that the line item for hydrants had increased in anticipation of  new developments within the Town.  Mr. McDevitt asked who was responsible for maintaining the hydrants.  Fire Chief Fisher said that Pennichuck water was responsible for maintaining and certifying the hydrants.  There was a brief discussion regarding the fees being paid for the placement and maintenance of hydrants.  Mr. Farris questioned the fact that people didn’t have the opportunity to vote to approve the money they were spending for the maintenance of hydrants required in new subdivisions. 

 

Fire Chief Fisher reviewed the remaining items contained in the Fire Department budget. The Fire Chief requested that the Hepatitis B vaccination costs be added to the Selectmen’s budget.  He also reviewed the two warrant articles he was proposing.  The First warrant article proposed was to raise and appropriate $10,000 to be added to the Ambulance Capital Reserve Fund and authorize the use transfer of the December 31, 2002 ballots in that amount for this purpose.  He said that the proposed warrant article was the same as every year.  He said the money was taken from the surplus to the capital reserve so funds would be available at the time the ambulance needed to be replaced.

 

The second proposed warrant article was to see if the Town would vote to raise and appropriate the sum of $52,000 for twenty self-contained breathing apparatuses.  Fire Chief Fisher said he would like to replace the existing units with updated versions that had all the new technologies. Mr. Farris suggested adding a line that informed that the money would be withdrawn from the ambulance fund.  

 

TOWN ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT/SELECTMEN’S REPORT

 

Mr. Gaydos said that he attended a meeting with representatives from the Budget Committee to discuss the presentation of budgets.  He said that he also attended the closing for the Wolven property. 

 

Mr. Bergeron said that he met with Mr. Bruce Mason of the Transfer Station who informed that 622 propane tanks were removed.  He announced that the brush pile would be open from July 23rd - 27th, 2002. 

 

Mr. Derby had no report.

 

Mr. McDevitt said he attended the closing of the Wolven property.  He said that a copy of the warrantee deed would be available for review.  He thanked Ms. Wolven for her generosity.  He also thanked Ms. Deb Waters for all the work she did. 

 

Mr. Farris said that CTAC would be meeting to review several items regarding the Town’s standings with Adelphia.  He noted that the Division 2 basketball team that competed in Florida placed 14th out of 48 teams competing.  He said that the children represented themselves and the Town really well.   

 

REQUEST FOR NON-PUBLIC SESSION

 

MOTION:

(McDevitt/       ) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II, a, d & e (personnel, consideration of the acquisition of property - Conservation Commission, legal).

 

ROLL CALL:

 

Mr. Farris-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Derby-Yes

 

Mr. Farris noted that when the Board returned, after the non-public session, the Board would not take any other action publicly, except to seal the minutes of the non-public session and to adjourn the meeting.  The Board entered into a non-public session at approximately 8:25pm.  Mr. Gaydos was also present during the non-public session.   

 

The Board returned to public session at approximately      pm.

 

MOTION:

 

(  ) To seal the minutes of the non-public session indefinitely.

 

VOTE:

 

(   )

 

ADJOURNMENT

 

MOTION:           (    ) To adjourn the meeting.

 

VOTE:                 (      )

 

The meeting was adjourned at approximately      pm.

 

                                                                                          Respectfully submitted,

 

                                                                                          Charity A. L. Willis

                                                                                          Recording Secretary