March 18, 2003

APPROVED – March 25, 2003






Mr. Harold Lynde, Mr. William McDevitt, Mr. Richard Derby, Mr. Jean-Guy Bergeron,

Mr. Victor Danevich


Also present:



Mr. Tom Gaydos, Town Administrator, members of the press and general public.




Vice Chairman Lynde opened the meeting at approximately 6:30 pm. 




March 4, 2003 minutes were deferred until the next scheduled meeting.








Interview with Parks and Recreation Committee candidate


Mr. Dave Cate met with the Selectmen and requested that he be reappointed to the Park and Recreation Advisory Board.  He said that he had been the Chairman and would like to see the Board move forward, and get involved with passive recreation, as well as utilizing cable to reach a greater portion of the Town’s residents. 


Mr. Lynde asked if the future recreational needs plan needed more work.  Mr. Cate said that there were limitations due to budgetary constraints, but noted there were wish list items.


Mr. Danevich asked what the commitment was to complete the plan for inclusion in the Master Plan.  Mr. Cate said that the Board would meet with Mr. Bill Scanzani for better understanding how the plan should be written up to be able to proceed.  Mr. Danevich asked if the plan would be an action item to be completed. Mr. Cate answered yes. 


Mr. McDevitt felt that Mr. Cate worked well with the Advisory Board and the Committee.


Mr. Lynde said that the Selectmen would schedule interviews for open positions at a later date, at which time they would take action. 


Seat Belt Enforcement Grant, Evan Haglund


Police Chief Evan Haglund met with the Selectmen to review a State Highway Safety Grant for eighty-four (84) hours (cash value $2826.60).  He said acceptance of the grant would allow the officers to patrol seven (7) patrols, for six (6) hours over two specific date periods (May 19 - June 1, 2003 and November 18 - December 1, 2003).  The patrols are for an educational and enforcement program, designed for passenger and child safety seat compliance.  He said the grant was 100% funded.  He said the patrol would be in addition to the officer’s regularly scheduled shift. 


Mr. McDevitt asked if the program was geared toward people under the age of 18.  Chief Haglund answered yes.  He said that Pelham had a higher percentage rate of seatbelt use compared to the state standard. 


Mr. Bergeron said that the Transportation Committee in the Legislature had been working on an amendment to a Bill that would change the height and weight requirements and proper seat belts, which would probably be submitted to the Senate soon. 


Chief Haglund said that the officers would be stationed in specific areas.  He noted that if additional violations were observed, they too could be enforced.  He discussed survey cards that would be disseminated to the first one hundred (100) persons detained. 




(Bergeron/Derby) To accept the grant State Highway Safety Grant (safety belt enforcement) in the amount of $2826.60.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Chief Haglund said that the Police Department had received a call from New Hampshire Highway Safety   indicating Pelham was eligible for a twelve (12) hour grant ($403.80) during the time period of July 10 - 12, 2003 for two (2), six (6) hour patrols stressing DWI enforcement.  He noted that the grant was 100% funded.  He said the grant would be in conjunction with the State Police. 




(Derby/Bergeron) To accept the New Hampshire Highway Safety grant (DWI enforcement) in the amount of $403.80.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Election of Chair, Vice-Chair


Nominations were made, which brought the following motions:




(McDevitt/Danevich) To appoint Mr. Harold Lynde as Chairman.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.





(Danevich/Derby) To appoint Mr. William McDevitt as Vice Chairman.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Mr. Lynde suggested that the Selectmen move the non-public sessions to the end of the meetings, or on a non-meeting night.  He then suggested that the Selectmen meet every other Tuesday beginning April 1, 2003.  Mr. Lynde asked that goals be set for the year in conjunction with a plan of action.  He believed that the center of Town should be reviewed and resolved.  He said that he asked one of the members of the Planning Board (who is a traffic consultant) to review the plans and provide comment. 




Mansur’s Dealer Registration


Mr. Bergeron stepped down. 


Mr. Gaydos outlined the research he had done.  He said that Mr. Mansur operated a modified junkyard operation (per consent decree), and on an annual basis went through a process of inspection for compliance.  He said the inspection process was currently taking place with the Code Enforcement Officer, Health Inspector and Fire Chief.  Mr. Gaydos said as part of the operation, Mr. Mansur applies to the state for a recycling dealer registration.  He noted that it was understood by Mr. Mansur that the dealer registration would not allow his operation to operate outside the scope of the consent decree.  He recommended that the compliance documentation be signed.  He read aloud the portion of the document that required signature.  He reviewed what documentation would be sent to the state.   


Mr. Mansur said his understanding was that he was only seeking a renewal for plates.  He noted that there had been no change with his operation.  He said that he complied with all requests.  He was concerned with matters being brought up every few years.  Mr. Gaydos said that documentation would be placed in Mr. Mansur’s file so that he would not have recurring problems. 




(McDevitt/Derby) To authorize Mr. Gaydos to sign the documentation as discussed.




(4 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.  Mr. Bergeron had stepped down. 


Mr. Bergeron returned to the Board.


Municipal Building


Scope Changes - Mr. Gaydos reviewed scope changes with the Selectmen.  The stainless steel bench and K-9 unit had been previously approved, but not signed off on.  Mr. Lynde reviewed the items that needed approval.  He noted that the items that had been previously approved would be approved again.  The items for review were as follows: 1) Item P43 (stainless steel bench) $491; 2) K-9 unit $1955; 3) roof repairs $2003; 4) motion sensors $1972; 5) Library window glass gazing $480; 6) repair and replace faulty valves $2888; 7) sewer pipe, seal coating, septic tank, maintenance $4809. 




(Derby/McDevitt) To approve the scope changes that had not yet been approved, as presented by Mr. Gaydos (1) Item P43 (stainless steel bench) $491; 2) K-9 unit $1955; 3) roof repairs $2003; 4) motion sensors $1972; 5) Library window glass gazing $480; 6) repair and replace faulty valves $2888; 7) sewer pipe, seal coating, septic tank, maintenance $4809.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Sherburne Hall - Mr. McDevitt noted that the gymnasium/cafeteria had not been part of the rehab of the building.  He said the original plan was to leave the gymnasium as it was, and use it for meetings.  He pointed out that the space could possibly be used for arts and entertainment purposes.  Mr. McDevitt went on to discuss the items needing to be rehabilitated and how the funds could possibly be raised through donations.  He suggested renaming the space, Sherburne Hall and accepting donations for rehab.  He said if the Selectmen approved of the donation policy, a committee of people should be established to review the space and needs, and an account should be established for the donations (Sherburne Hall Fund).  Mr. Lynde reviewed Mr. McDevitt’s request.  Mr. Gaydos explained the process in which the funds would be authorized, through public hearing, to be expended.  The timeframe to begin work was discussed.  Mr. Gaydos felt work may be able to begin by this fall. 




(McDevitt/Danevich) To establish a Sherburne Hall committee for the purpose of accepting volunteers who want to help come up with ideas to improve the community/meeting room at the new facility. 




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.





(Derby/McDevitt) To set up a Sherburne Hall Fund for the purposes of accepting donations that will be used to implement improvements to Sherburne Hall presented/discussed at public hearings.




(5 - 0 - 0) The motion carries.


Mr. McDevitt said the intent was to have a plaque list the names of those who donated an amount over $25.


Tree Donation - Mr. McDevitt reviewed the proposed tree donation policy.  He said one suggestion would be to have a 12”x 6” plaque next to the donated trees.   He provided a proposal for the trees and asked that a separate fund be created to accept donations toward the trees.  He said he would bring a layout of the trees to the next meeting.  There was a brief discussion regarding what would happen in the event there were more donors, than trees.  A decision will be made at a later date.  Mr. McDevitt said there were additional opportunities for donations (i.e. benches, fence for the historical foundation). 




Review of appointments/request for appointment application


Mr. Lynde informed that applications were being accepted for the following positions:

1.      Board of Adjustment - two full-time positions; alternates

2.      Cable Television Advisory Committee - two: three-year appointments; one: two-year appointment

3.      Planning Board - two: three-year appointments; alternates

4.      Recreation Advisory Board - two: three-year appointments

5.      Conservation Commission - one: three-year appointment; alternates

6.      Nashua Regional Planning Commission - two commissioner positions (four meetings per year)


Applicants should contact the Selectmen’s office, or obtain an application from the Town website.  Mr. Lynde said that he would like to begin taking action on applications by the Selectmen’s April 1, 2003 meeting. 


Junkyard license renewals


Mr. Lynde said that there were three junkyards (Bergeron, Coombs, Mansur) in Town who had been contacted by Building Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer Roland Soucy to make arrangements for renewing registrations.  Each of the businesses will be visited by the Building Inspector, Fire Chief and the Health Officer, who will submit a joint report to the Selectmen.  Mr. Gaydos said if the Selectmen agreed that the permit was okay to be renewed, it would be, but if the Selectmen did not approve the permit, a public hearing would be scheduled.  Mr. McDevitt believed that there was an ordinance that required a public discussion for approvals. 


Mr. Gaydos said that he would schedule a public hearing after the reports were received by the inspectors.  Mr. Lynde asked that the information come back as soon as possible because of renewal deadlines. 


There was a brief discussion regarding when inspections could be done for the permits. 


Selectmen assignment requests


Selectmen assignment requests should be forwarded to Mr. Gaydos.  Appointments will be made at the next meeting.


Review of Town Meeting Warrant Article results


Mr. Lynde reviewed the results from the Town Meeting Warrant Articles.  He said he would like to review budgets and warrant articles on a monthly basis to ensure that actions are taken.  The Selectmen reviewed the Town Warrant Articles from the March 11, 2003 vote.  There was a discussion regarding what steps should be taken with re-constructing the Spring Street area (per Article #3).  Warrant Article review and discussion continued.  Items that needed action will be listed on a tracking list for Selectmen review. 


Prior year Warrant Article balances


Mr. Lynde reviewed the Warrant Articles from past years (1997 - 2002).  The Selectmen decided what needed further action, and what should be removed from the list.       




Mr. Danevich had no report.


Mr. Bergeron informed that the meeting of the Regional Water District had been cancelled due to inclement weather.  He said that the meeting had been rescheduled for Thursday, March 20, 2003.


Mr. Derby had no report.


Mr. McDevitt informed that the Town had been turned down for the PLAN NH grant (use of Town Hall building).  He said that he received information from a grant program, in which only 15 towns were eligible (Pelham was listed).  He suggested that the Town apply for the grant.  Mr. McDevitt received a flyer informing that a seminar would be held regarding growth on March 27, 2003 in Nashua, and asked if anyone was interested in attending.  He reminded the Selectmen that the residents on Robin Road had been promised an answer by April 1, 2003 regarding the status of their street.  He said that the Community Spirit group had asked if the Selectmen would be willing to greet the public if a booth were set up at the July 4th celebration (tentatively scheduled for July 3rd at the Pelham Elementary School). 


Mr. Lynde informed that the Planning Board had met March 17, 2003.  He discussed what items had been reviewed and what actions would be taken.  Specifically, a land use report composed by Mr. John Bobula was reviewed, which will be revised and submitted to the Selectmen for further action.  He discussed an additional issue that was reviewed by the Planning Board regarding the number of building permits issued, and how many inspections would be required per permit.  He believed the permits should be reviewed.  Mr. Danevich said that he had been tracking the number of permits over the past years and noted that the permit process had been applied differently (due to staff changes) in the past five years, which may have skewed the results.  Mr. Lynde said that a general concern had been raised, which he felt should be reviewed further.  Mr. Danevich agreed.  Mr. Lynde went on to discuss the road naming process and the importance of it being followed.  Mr. Danevich said in the past, it has been suggested that a list of approved names be created for developers to use when drafting plans.  He noted the tracking problems surrounding road names being changed at the time plans were being recorded.  He said that road names should be determined early in the plan review process so that Planning Board minutes would accurately reflect information for tracking purposes. 


Mr. Gaydos discussed a project he and Breadloaf had been working on regarding the process for loaming and seeding the village green.  He said Mr. J.R. Gauthier volunteered to review what would need to be done and asked for the Selectmen’s approval to accept the offer.  He said that there was excess loam, that the Selectmen would need to decide what to do with it.  There was further discussion what needed to be done.  The Selectmen decided to accept Mr. Gauthier’s volunteer offer to review the work needing to be done.  Mr. Gaydos went on to review the items that needed handling and placement on an action list (codification of laws - inconsistencies to be identified, Raymond Park information, BMSI accounting, Police agreement, Breadloaf issues, office furniture, village green loam, assistance regarding 911 numbering, action list updating, zoning books and attorney meeting for Board of Adjustment members, advertisement of open positions, junkyard inspections, public hearing minutes for Campbell Road, timelines for bridge work, update on Transfer Station closing information, 1999 Warrant Article #44 information,  Medina lot - is money surplus,  Robin Road issues - Mr. Lynde will handle).  Mr. Lynde discussed the Robin Road issue.  Mr. Danevich said that the drainage was not built to plan and the developer refused to correct the problem.  Mr. Lynde asked that a report be provided for the April 1, 2003 meeting so the residents would know the Selectmen were staying on top of the issues.  Mr. Gaydos said that he would provide a list to be updated weekly. 


Mr. Derby believed that the Selectmen should discuss the employment agreement that was received.  The Selectmen will discuss during non-public session. 





(McDevitt/Derby) Request for a non-public session per RSA 91-A:3,II, a & c (Personnel; Matters which, if discussed publicly, would affect adversely the reputation of any person).




Mr. Lynde-Yes; Mr. McDevitt-Yes; Mr. Bergeron-Yes; Mr. Derby-Yes; Mr. Danevich-Yes


Mr. Lynde noted that when the Board returned, after the non-public session, the Board would not take any other action publicly, except to seal the minutes of the non-public session and to adjourn the meeting.  The Board entered into a non-public session at approximately 10:00 pm.  Also present was Mr. Gaydos, who left before the meeting was adjourned.


The Board returned to public session at approximately 10:30 pm.


A motion was made to seal the minutes of the non-public session indefinitely, and to adjourn the meeting.


The meeting was adjourned at approximately 10:30 pm. 


                                                                                          Respectfully submitted,


                                                                                          Charity A. L. Willis

                                                                                          Recording Secretary